Saturday, May 14, 2016

In which Shana takes a selfie

Or, why I'm okay with selfies.

People who take and post selfies on the internet or share them via text or snapchat are often considered vain little attention whores.

And this is sometimes this is the case, there are a lot of people out there that are just looking for attention when they post photos of themselves in the mirror.  They're looking for people to tell them how pretty they are, or how wonderful a person they are, or how much of a difference they make to the rest of the world.

We see it every single day.  When someone posts a near daily photo of themselves, or six of the same picture back to back to back, or my personal favourite... the all the photos are from the same godsdamned angle.

It's gross.

But, we live in a world full of ugliness.  In a world full of criticism, judgement, and hate so what's wrong with celebrating a little bit of beauty?

I know for me that's why I post selfies.  I'm someone who has little to no self esteem, so it's very rare that I feel pretty let alone beautiful so the days that I do I like to snap a picture.  I don't post them because I want the likes or the comments.  I don't post them for the validation (although I would be lying if I said it didn't feel nice).  I post them because the next time I feel hideous (which is likely to be 35 minutes after taking the picture) it's harder for me to delete it if it's on the internet.  I post it so I can maybe remember that one time *I* thought I was pretty.

So maybe think about that before you bitch about someone's selfie.  And hi-five them for feeling good about their own self, because you don't know how long it has been since the last time they did, or how long it'll be until the next time they do.

1 comment:

TheBitchRake said...

I think this is why many of us take and post selfies. It's why I do, for sure. Also, I love the collage so so much.