Monday, June 8, 2015

In Which Tryph doesn't Want Widow

So there's been this internet flash mob/hashtag thing dedicated to #WeWantWidow... which I sort of get.  She's a pretty cool character and people seem to think she's getting the shaft because she's female.

I beg to differ.

I'm a Hawkeye fangirl.  I would love to see more of him in his own films or on his own merch, but I'm a realist.  It just won't happen.

Why do I say that?  Because he's a regular guy.  That's his shtick.  He's just a guy who happens to be really good with a bow (at least in this version of events).  He isn't super rich and smart enough to build power armor, he isn't a god, he doesn't turn into a big green guy and he isn't a genetically altered WWII supersoldier.  He's just a guy... which is what makes him a great supporting character, but the star of his own films?  Nope.

(though I do recommend reading the comics... they're fantastic, and I love his story.  I just don't think it would translate into a 2 hour event)

And this is the same problem with Romanoff.

She's just a highly trained woman trying to atone for her past.

Her film would have her fighting her inner demons and people.  Nothing too spectacular, no giant alien armies, or anything too exotic.  Not because women can't handle themselves, but because Black Widow is just a person, highly trained, but still a person.  If she was fighting something superhuman (which we all know if what Marvel movies all have/need) she'd (much like Hawkeye) need some kind of backup... which would end up being another Avengers movie.

It's sad but true... the Regular People of the Avengers just don't have enough to them to have their own movies.

I would like to see them both on more merch though.  Both Hawkeye and Widow seem to get shafted when it comes to that.  Although, it does amuse the shit out of me when people think that people got the merch wrong when the Avengers include Spiderman.

Anyhow, that's the end of this rant.

No comments: