Monday, April 27, 2015

In Which Tryph writes an open letter

This letter is to myself... and anyone else who needs to hear the message.

Dearest Tryph,

I've been watching you for a very long time and I've learned quite a bit about you.

You're not like other people; social conformity has never been your strong suit.  When you were a child, you didn't fit in with your peers and often felt more comfortable with adults, and now that you're an adult... you tend to drift towards people younger than yourself.

And then there's the way you dress.  It's all tshirts and skirts and boots.  It's strange combinations of dresses and tights.  And your hair... you hate having hair that looks like other people.

But you're also so afraid of being different.  Some mornings you stand in front of the closet and fret over what to put on, over what people will think about how you'll look.

How many times have you thought to yourself "I'm too old to dress how I want to"?

How many times have you compared yourself to someone else?

How many times have you wished you had some asset that someone else had?

Just the other day, didn't you actually say "I love that you can wear lipsticks like that... they look so good on you and I wish I could wear them!"

Where did the girl go who didn't give a fuck what anyone thought.  The one who would just wear what she wanted, do what she wanted and not give a second thought?

So what if you end up dressed like your friend.  Just think of all the pictures and funny stories you'll have.

So what if you dye your hair the same colour as someone else.  It just means you both have good taste.

So what if someone thinks you look fat, or ugly or that an outfit doesn't become you.

If there was one thing that I learned from being in an abusive relationship it was this... No one can decide your own destiny but you.  No one can make choices for you.  No one makes you do anything, act anything or can take anything away from you (well, they can physically, but you know what I mean)

Anyhow... that's all I wanted to say.

Love always,
Tryph

p.s. Remember what Mojo once told you... "Fuck 'em.  Be you, You're awesome"

No comments: