Tuesday, May 13, 2014

In which Tryph is Anti Social

I asked on twitter yesterday "how do you get over writers block?"

I've been stuck for some time now.  The last project I had any traction with at all in the last year, is a project I was forced to abandon when the person I was working on it with decided to be a douche bag.

Anyhow, I've been stuck for a while now, so I asked twitter... and one response really intrigued me, relating to muscle memory and just typing the fuck out of things daily.  Make it a habit.  Make it a routine.  Maybe this will help sync my mind and my body.

So we're here, blogging.  I figure if I'm gonna do it, why not let people into my broken mind... It's worked before, maybe it'll work now.  Today, today I actually plan to bitch about Social Media.

The very words seem to make it sound like it's meant to be a medium in which to be social, to connect and/or bring people together.

Sadly more often than not it doesn't.  The rips and tears of our social fabric are exposed more deeply on the internet more than ever.  It seems like we talk less, and soapbox/editorialize more.  Friends talk about or at each other passive aggressively instead of talking to each other to work their issues out.

It's sad that on just about any article with an opinion you can't read the comments without being filled with some kind of rage because of the insane and inane things people choose to post with anonymous impunity.

And don't get me wrong here, I'm a firm believer that differences in opinion are what make the world go around... you'll never learn anything new if you don't expose yourself to other thought patterns... But it's the vehemence, the hatred and the lack of discussion that ruins things for everyone.  A friend of mine says that she and I are "Birds of a similar feather" (I'm mangling the quote there, but you get the picture).  In short, she's VERY Christian, incredibly firm in her faith and her God and her place in the world.  I am not, I don't not believe in God, but I don't not not believe.  And we're both okay with that.

It's too bad that social media  has taken this turn, but I suppose it's the fault of the people who use/abuse it.

2 comments:

jason said...

Well said. And, this from someone who has been guilty in the past of shouting from the soap box in the guise of trying to have an intelligent discussion on an issue. I am trying to get better at it. And, have recently and sadly deleted a friend from my FB because some people can't discuss an issue without resorting to name calling and broad generalizations. Regrettably, I've fallen into that trap a few times myself, but i keep trying to get better.

Anonymous said...

It was "a bird of the same different feather"