Thursday, December 19, 2013

In which Tryph just can't wrap her head around it...

I like to think of myself as a fairly non judgemental person.

At the end of the day, the way you live your life has little to no bearing on how I live my own, so why should/would I get all worked up about it?

That's really the basis of my thoughts on things like gay marriage.  I don't give a shit what you do in your own bedroom... honestly you could have an orgy every single night, and as long as it involves consenting adults, I say enjoy.

So, when the subject of gay marriage comes up, I say live and let live.

Now, I know it's a bit of a touchy subject for a lot of people (more often than not, religious groups although not exclusively), and I tend to, again, think that your thoughts have little to no bearing on me so I'll let it go.

But then I go and compare gay marriage to racism.

See... sexuality, much like skin colour, isn't something you CHOOSE.  It's part of who and what you are.

Someone once said to me something to the effect of "I just don't understand why people expect us to LIKE gay marriage", and I did my best to understand where they were coming from.  I really did, but I just couldn't.  Like I said... I have this habit of changing "gay" for "interracial", and I just can't wrap my head around it.

It wasn't that long ago that a white person couldn't marry a person of colour.  It was illegal, and oftentimes considered an immoral and wrong act.  It was completely unthinkable. Many bigots railed against it... but in the end not only is it tolerated, but it's rare in this day and age to hear someone say "I don't think blacks and whites should be allowed to marry".

Honestly, I think anyone who made a comment like that would be run out of town with pitch forks.

So help me wrap my head around this one people.  Why is it okay to hate people for their sexuality, but it's not okay to hate people based on their race?  Neither is chosen...

No comments: