Monday, October 14, 2013

In Which Tryph has fully complete thoughts

So, I've been off social media* for over a week now, and it's been an interesting shift for me.

I've always joked that if I were to have a movie made about me, it'd be called "my life on the internet", and honestly, that's kind of what my life has been.  On.  The.  Internet.

At some point in the last 5 or 6 years, I stopped living life in the real world and started simply broadcasting it to the world, if that makes sense to you.  Every little detail, nuance... it became something I would share with the world.

Today alone, a week after I deleted myself... I would have tweeted....

"Waking up beside him has to be one of the most amazing things in the world" 
Or
"I need a wagon. :( #whine" 
Or
"finally beat that jumping puzzle I've been working on... cc @theolesen"

I suppose the idea I'm trying to get at here is that twitter is little more than flavour text.  At least the way I've been using it lately.  It's a string of seemingly meaningless comments with no context.  

Sure, my friends will sometimes ask for context "tryph, why on earth do you need a wagon" and I would layer on the context with all the deftness that 140 characters availed me.  

And believe me, for silly life anecdotes, 140 characters worked, but for real life things?  Or things that involve hot debate?  Not by a long shot.  

I imagine it to be like trying to ice a cake with a paintball gun. I'm sure in the end you could get the job done, but the results won't be pretty, and there will be plenty of gaps. (Really, I just wanted to imagine shooting a cake with a paintball gun.)

Anyhow, lately I find I talk more, tweet less.  Or think of tweeting less, since my twitter is still gone. 

The end result?  I don't know what the fuck to do with my phone most times, but I'm feeling the need to broadcast less.  

Perhaps I'll be able to end this moratorium on social media sooner rather than later.  

Ciao kittens
<3

*I'm still on Vine and Instagram

No comments: