Tuesday, March 19, 2013

In which Tryph uses a word other than the one she intends

I do condone the murder of cake
especially cake made of lies
or deliciousness
I have proudly spent time teaching my son that murder is wrong.

Strange thing to think about teaching a child isn't it?  That murder, to kill someone else is, simply put, wrong. That, unless it is to preserve his own life he never has the right to take another persons.

But yes, I have taught my son this, and it's something I am entirely concious of.  Believe me, if I had a daughter, I'd teach her the same thing.  You know, never ever murder someone.

I don't teach him this, or condone teaching anyone this because I think he is going to be a murderer.  I don't teach him this because I think all men or women are murderers either.  I don't teach him this because I want to accuse him, or anyone else of being a murderer.  I teach him this because I know in my heart of hearts that killing is wrong, and I want to make sure that he learns this lesson, and holds it dear to his heart, even if it isn't something he consciously thinks of every day of his life.

And you know what?  I don't think anyone takes offence to the fact that I strongly believe that we should keep teaching our children that murder is wrong, and that they don't have the right to kill people, because that's just the RIGHT thing to do.

Now, let's substitute the word murder or kill for rape, and watch what happens.  Suddenly I'm saying all men  are willing to, or want to, or will hurt women.  This isn't the case, I simply think that some people rape (both men and women), just like some people murder (again both men and women) and a way to help minimize it is to promote a culture that doesn't condone it.  What is the harm in teaching a child that "no" means "no", and that they shouldn't take advantage of someone in a weakened or unclear state of mind?  It applies to many things, not JUST rape either, if you really think about it.

But no, teaching children that rape is wrong is saying all men are evil bastards, and part of some feminist agenda to demonize men.

We have a long way to go in our world.  Honestly, rape is just as immoral and wrong is murder, and we need to accept that.

No comments: