Tuesday, March 5, 2013

In which Tryph talks about body stuff (1 of 2... maybe 3, we shall see)

I am, and always will be an advocate for body health and having a healthy body image.

I also don't feel that the two of those things are entirely mutually exclusive, but here, let me explain.

I'm overweight, actually until last November I would have been considered "obese" as far as BMI is concerned (although I kind of feel that BMI as a straight up measure is kind of fucked up and doesn't always fit).  I've struggled with weight my entire adult life, and this has been difficult for me, because I was always skinnier than skinny when I was young.

See, I got preggers at 19, and since it was my first time living away from home, I started eating like a lot of young adults do when they first move out.  I ate a lot of crap.  Chips, chocolate, cookies.. all that crap I stayed away from when I was younger because mom and step dad either didn't buy it, or policed it.  Between the junk food, and the massive body changes from having a baby, I put on a lot of weight.

Over the last ten years, I went from my previous svelte 105-110lbs to my current 160lbs (after having lost 25lbs).  My highest weight was a few years back at 196lbs.  I think it was back then that I really started fighting back against the weight that was piling up on my arms, my thighs and my waist.

I could argue that I was "perfectly healthy" as many people do because my cholesterol was fine, my blood pressure was normal, my sugars weren't going wild like I had diabetes.  On paper, I seemed perfectly healthy, but I understand that paper doesn't always tell the whole story.  I wasn't healthy NOW, not to mentioning the risks that extra weight around the weight causes in the long term (heart disease, cancers, diabetes to name a couple).

Here's the thing.  When my niece and nephew came to town they used to play at the playground at the school down the street from my mothers house.  I used to go down and play tag, and run around with them, and often would race them back to the house.  This one year, I found myself getting winded and exhausted quicker.  I could barely race the kids back to the house, and it was less than a 200m dash (I used to be quite good at track and field).

In short, I couldn't keep up with the kids.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's EVER possible for an adult to keep up with the pace of 3 kids 10 and under, but I couldn't even keep up with them for more than a few minutes at a time.  Something was wrong.  I was seriously out of shape, and it was causing me problems as a parent.  My body, wasn't healthy, and something had to give.

I had to get back into shape.

And I honestly think that's enough for this segment... so I suppose I'll get back to the rest of it tomorrow or something.

No comments: