Thursday, March 7, 2013

In which Tryph goes on about body stuff once again... the last time... I hope

So today, my final day of this theme, I want to talk about kids and diets.

Honestly, if we take the word "diet" as our current culture defines, no child should be put on a diet (unless of course they 'need' it.  I'll keep that loosely defined because it's not my place to define it).  But this is why I hate the term "diet" as it gets used these days.  Diets are ALL awful little fad things, and they make it seem so bloody temporary.  I prefer to use diet as a noun..

The kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats

Anyhow, back to kids.  

When I was a child I played with Barbies, and didn't think about her proportions.  Size wasn't an issue.  Honestly weight as something to consider didn't enter my radar until the 6th grade when one of my best friends was over weight, and her mother wanted her to lose a few pounds.

My mother wouldn't have ever imagined putting me on a diet, but that doesn't mean she didn't MANAGE my diet.  If I wanted to have cookies, she'd offer me carrot sticks or fruit.  If I was lazing around on the couch, she'd tell me to get off my ass and go outside to play.  

Since the dawn of time, parents have been managing their childrens weight through diet and exercise, and NO ONE CARED because the kids didn't realize it. 

Yes, we do live in a society that is a LOT more body concious than it used to be, but the stakes are higher than ever.  Lets look at the national averages of the various weight related health problems, they've all increased.  

I honestly don't know where I'm going with this one.  I don't think it's a bad thing to teach our kids to be more health concious, to exercise more, to eat better.  And giving kids the background on it.. maybe it'd help them avoid things like the "freshman 15" when they go to college.  I know I wish I had thought more about the choices my parents made for me in eating and physical activity.  Maybe I never would have put on 90lbs while and after being pregnant. (not that I'm blaming my mother for my weight gain.  My choices were my own)

Parents, kids, and people in general... we all should be more concious of our bodies and how we treat them. I'm not talking about size or weight.  But shouldn't "loving your body" go beyond the surface?  In my mind it should include treating it right.  

Sadly, I don't think most people would agree.  

No comments: