Thursday, March 21, 2013

In which Tryph freaks out a little bit...

So the other night I announced on twitter that I'd like to run a half marathon this coming October.

http://niagarafallsmarathon.com/race-options/half/

I did it because A) I'd told my hetero life mate about it and she thought it was great and wanted to do it together, and B) because once I announced it, I couldn't back out.

I am now freaking out.

Taken last September while out for a run
I've never been a distance runner, not by a long shot.  When I was a kid, I was a pretty good sprinter.  The 1 and 200 meter dash was where I reigned supreme, and even when to regional and provincial matches.  In the 400 meter run, I could hold my own, and while I'd place in the top 10, I was never that great at it.  And anything longer, well I just didn't have the stamina.

Since then (and that was well over 16 years ago) I stopped running altogether.  Sure in highschool I had to take phys-ed and there was running involved there, but I never sprinted, and I didn't even try dabbling in distance running at all.

That's not entirely true.  Over the last 2.5 years or so, I've started doing the Couch to 5K program gods only know how many times.  I keep starting it, and stopping it.  Sometimes I just stop because I don't feel like it, and often I stop because I injure myself.

I have weak ankles, and always have.  I have twisted them more times than I can count.  I wouldn't be surprised if they found scar tissue on my ligaments and tendons because of all the damage I've done all these years.

Anyhow, I'm afraid I'm not going to stick with it, and I won't run the half marathon.  I'm afraid of hurting my damnable ankles and speeding up the time frame that I'll have to walk with a cane (it's coming, I'm telling you).  In general, I'm afraid.

If I'm honest I'm terrifed of a lot of things... But there has to come a time when you have to face your fears and tell them to fuck off.

So, fuck off fear, I'm doing this.

Please help me do this, haha.

4 comments:

Elianora said...

Lifting. Lifting makes you stronger.

Run 3 times a week and go to gym once or twice. I promise you, gym work will make running so much better, because it strengthens your core and legs so much.

Tryphyna said...

Do you know of anything specific to ankles? I know a few, but I'm sure there's more I haven't discovered yet.
I'll be getting a gym membership in the next few weeks, but I feel like I should target my ankles in addition to other muscle work.

PChan said...

Lovely!

You have got this!

I agree with Emmi. Doing strength training makes running easier. I couldn't run for shit and I used to twist my ankles a lot too. I don't have as much trouble anymore and I can sprint pretty well.

Go for an overall body strength. If you strengthen your core it'll help your posture and how you walk.

i believe in you ^.^

Elianora said...

I love squats to death. They are the best for overall strength and work about half of all the muscles in your body.

Checkout Fitocracy for inspiration :3