Friday, March 4, 2011

In which Tryph writes to her angel

My Dear little MonkeyButter,

I know, I have some of the strangest nicknames for you, but I love them and they're perfect for you. I promise to not use them around your friends and embarrass you mercilessly... for now.

It's physically not possible for you to know how much I love you, dearest booboobunny. One day you'll know. One day you'll have children of your own and it'll hit you like a tonne of bricks just what it's like to love your child.

It's been so amazing to watch you grow into the young man that you're becoming. Your personality being molded by those around you. I'm sorry you seem to have picked up some of my worst traits (stubbornness, short fuse, temper etc) But you have some of the best parts of both your father and I too.

You're so sensitive and caring. You have the capacity to love instantly and passionately. And you always take care of me the way I take care of you.

I'm so sorry that I haven't been the best mommy of late. I'm sorry that I fell to my knees and sobbed in front of you. But sometimes, baby, sometimes everyone falls to pieces. And you need to know that there is no shame in that. Ever.

Don't be afraid to reach out, and let people in when you falter on your path. Let people love you as you love them. Let people wrap you in their warmth when you're feeling cold. People are worth it, even if you cry and hurt sometimes.

Learn from me, as I learned from my mother, about the weakness of the human spirit. We are all flawed, and the trick of life is to learn to roll with the punches and embrace our flaws. Only through keeping our eyes open, and driving ourselves forward will we ever be able to thrive.

I love you monkey. I love you more than anything in this world or the next. You are my precious angel and the absolute best thing that has ever happened to me. I cherish every moment I have with you, and you should know that there is nothing that I wouldn't do for you. I'd walk through broken burning glass to protect you.

I am always, and will always be in your corner.

Love you dearly,
~Mommy

No comments: