Monday, September 20, 2010

In which Tryph has a house and a town

Day 14 – Where You Live

As of December this year I will have been a home owner for 7 years. I moved out of my mothers house 9.5 years ago, lived in a small house beside her for just less than a year, lived in an apartment for a year, and then moved into my house.

I love my house, but I'm the first to admit that we haven't taken as good care of it as we should have in the last 7 years. In short, I hate gardening and yard work, and so does the manthing.

I wouldn't mind it so much if it wasn't for the fact that I've got issues with the sun (I get a rash if I go out into it, and my skin itches) and major issues with bugs (I'm really quite allergic). Same with some plants and things. I get stuff on my skin, and my skin will react.

So part one, I live in my own home.

Part two is where I live.

I grew up in a smallish city, and eventually bought a house in a town on the outskirts of the town I grew up in. It's not a bad place, and honestly when we got the house it seemed to make sense. To get a house this size (1050 sq/ft + a finished basement {adds another 500 sq/ft}) in a nice area of town (read - not sketchy) would have cost at least an extra 50grand. Just wasn't going to happen.

Though in retrospect when we factor in the increased costs of transportation (I don't drive so I have to take the bus) and property taxes (which is extremely painful... I literally paid MORE in property taxes last year than I paid on my mortgage) we're paying MORE to live here, but I was young and dumb.

So yeah, I live in a house and a town. And I'd much rather live anywhere else

No comments: