Wednesday, September 29, 2010

In which Tryph goes to work

Day 21 – Your job and/or schooling

I had every intention of going to school when I graduated from Highschool. But I didn't have the money and I didn't win any scholarships so it just wasn't going to happen.

so I opted to take a year to work and save money.

Lets just say I've been saving money ever since.

So work... I've worked in the call center industry for the entirety of my adult life. Just crested the 9 year mark. Doesn't it seem like all the (seemingly at least in some cases) important things in my life happened 9 years ago?

Anyhow...

I have no illusions about the call center industry. I tend to not call it a contact center, even though most call centers deal in email, and chat contacts as well. It just sounds pretentious and stuff.

So... I haven't done a lot of work on the phones, and I'm not a 'call center junkie' like many people in this area are (there are currently 4 major call centers in the region, and one just folded up shop... not to mention the little ones). I spent over 6 years at one of the major ones, with the bulk of my time being in various off phone/QA/Management-y kinds of roles, until my job was eliminated (there's more to that story, but I don't need to tell it here). I then ended up jumping over to another of the big ones, but didn't stay there long. My stint at the first center was enough to jade me and keep me from going back into the corporate machine.

I wound up vowing that I'd never work in another call center again.

And yet... I'm in another call center. Granted it's fundraising. Granted it's for charity. And Granted it's small and my bosses are awesome. So I guess I don't mind.

So yeah... I work as a telefundraiser (who will be in QA shortly, one hopes)

1 comment:

eva said...

It's never too late to start studying. There was a lot of older people on my course when I went to uni. I think being a bit older and wiser will actually be a benefit when studying.
What would your dream job be?