Wednesday, July 7, 2010

In Which Shana Writes

I've started writing creatively again.

It's not much, not really, but it's a start. My toe is in the door.

I've been playing DnD since the start of this year, and it's been pretty wonderful. there were a couple of downsides though. Because I'm kind of flaky and hadn't played DnD in a while my DM offered (and I accepted) to create my character for me.

I didn't realize at the time that this gave me a severe handicap.

Normally in character creation, I come up with a bit of backstory right off the hop, so I know what they're like, and know how to play them. And with this character, I didn't even know what her name was, let alone what she was like.

I turned to twitter.... my dear friend Mojo in fact, for help. Mojo gave me her name, and enough backstory to glean physical attributes. Since then, I've read and re-read the few words Mojo emailed me. I knew there was more to it, and if I just applied enough pressure....

Anyhow, the details started to form, and I took a run at it... and failed miserably.

You see, I've been writing in this blog format for so long (9.5 years now) that I've lost what little skill I had at writing a straight up, continuous narrative. It was all disjointed and mangled... hard for anyone who wasn't me to understand.

So, instead of taking that as a true failure, I figured I had to adapt somehow.


For the time being, I've got it set up as a once a week entry of approximately 300 words, give or take. I'd like to see how that goes, and make sure I'm still building momentum with her. I've gotten the first 6 entries written, and I've barely scratched the surface. But then, the first three entries are about her mom, dad and lover. All people who played a role in her undeath.

So yeah, please check it out, and lemme know what you think about Lavendra and her fall from grace.

No comments: