Wednesday, July 14, 2010

In which Shana lives without regret... these days at least

When I was 14 I decided that it was best to live my life according to the phrase "Je ne regrette rein"

Basically, even as a tender teen, I knew that I should live life the way I wanted to and do everything in my power to make sure I never looked back with regrets. I'd like to think I was pretty smart back then, always setting lofty goals. I viewed regret as being akin to failure, and that is the last thing I wanted to do.

I recognize now that life happens. Things get in the way, and sometimes.... just sometimes. Things happen the way they're supposed to.

Now I'm not talking about fate, though I could be. What I'm saying is that things happen the way they happen. And sometimes, just sometimes, what you get ends up being just as good, or even better.

Back to my catch phrase though... "Je Ne Regrette Rien"

I have managed to live my life without much in the way of regret. I mean, life hasn't been ideal, and I lost my way a few times, I'm pretty content with how things have worked out.

Save for one instance.

I don't need to get into the deets, because honestly it's irrelevant.

But this one moment, it's been a defining point for a lot of things in my life. One moment in time where I could choose to ACT or to THINK. For me at least, it was one of those moments from a movie where time seems to stop.

In the movies, they always seem to ACT. In real life, again for me at least, I opted to THINK.

The moment passed, and ever since then I always wondered if I had made the right choice. My gut told me (and it turns out it was correct) that I should have just acted upon my impulse and just gone for it.

Why do I say this moment was a defining point?

Because that regret pushed me to be more impulsive. To grasp those moments, lest they slip away. Sometimes life gives you second chances to make things right, and sometimes you only get the one kick at it. You never know.


No comments: