Tuesday, June 29, 2010

In which Shana has a sizable vocabulary

It's not giant, by any stretch of the imagination, but it is larger than the average bunny.

I'm not college/university educated, I just read a lot. Always have really. The books I read, tend to be by authors that have a fairly sizable vocab of their own; that Stephanie Meyer crap, and other teen 'supernatural' novels don't cut the muster.

Anyhow, I know that a lot of people DON'T read like I do, but I'd like to think that there is a good chunk of people out there who do. I'd like to think the bulk of the population has at the very least, a highschool level vocab.

I'm beginning to think that I'm giving the world a little too much credit, or perhaps my counterpart in this argument is giving them too little.

On one side of the coin, here I am; a highschool educated reader who loves words.
On the other, there they are; a highschool dropout who feels that reading is boring.

I sometimes use big words, but make it a point to be unpretentious about it. When I'm always happy to explain what a word means, and why I didn't use a similar synonym. I have a pretty good idea of the kinds of words that people might not understand (i.e. enervate, eschew, pedantic). Higher level discourse just isn't that important to some. I get that.

This said, I'd like to think that the the bulk of people who speak English as a first language, would have a bigger vocabulary than I'm being informed they have. I'd honestly, truly, like to believe that most people understand words like 'succumb' or 'atone' or 'proximity'. These words AREN'T that big.

So tell me, faithful readers, am I giving the English speaking world TOO MUCH credit?

Succumb
abdicate
atone

1 comment:

Maddie said...

i dunno but i have met people tell me my words are "complex" ha they never read robert browning:)

i think popcorn books(yes i mean twilight and the likes) have given literature a bad name.
i suppose its fine if the words are simple but baby talk can get annoying