Tuesday, May 25, 2010

In which Shana wears tiaras and towels

I kind of have a love hate relationship with my birthday.

I don't really think it REALLY matters in the grand scheme of things, and I hate being the center of attention.

I guess that'd mean I don't have much love for it at all, but whatever.

This year, I figure I'm not going to just hide away like I generally try to. I'm going to prance around town holding tight to my towel, and wearing a sparkly tiara. Well, I will if my mother has one for me. I told her to buy me one (jokingly).

But because I kind of hate my birthday, rather than telling you the story of my birth (which is kind of funny really) I'm going to talk about towels.

Some may be confused as to what I'm talking about, but others will not.

I love Douglas Adams. From the moment I first read Hitchhikers Guide, I was in love. I devoured every single word he wrote, and even related books that he didn't write, but were written by other people that I adored.

I fell headlong into that world, and even before Towel Day became a thing, I had a towel in my oversized purse/backpack.

I never claimed to be anything BUT neurotic.

I wanted to one day meet Marvin, and Zaphod. I was always intensely jealous of Trillian. I loved these characters, and I figured that even someone who didn't fit anywhere, might fit with a ragtag group of towel carrying space travelers.

What I've found since then, is almost better. I may not fit in many aspects of this world, and likely never will, but I, at the very least, found a rag tag group of towel carrying friends. And in honor of the life of the man who wrote the words, we all carry a towel every year on May 25th.

And even in a town like mine, even when I'm certain there aren't people HERE that have their towels with them, I know that there are people out THERE that are, and I feel like I fit in.

1 comment:

eva said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LADY!!!

i'm being ill at the moment and think it's a perfect timing for re-reading the hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy ;)