Monday, May 24, 2010

In which Shana was going to do one thing, but is doing another

I was going to do a Bowie tribute, but it turns out that I don't have enough time to throw that together. With my love/adore/love relationship with Bowie, I can't rush the playlist. So instead of that, I thought I'd do a TMBG tribute, but since I left it, I don't have one ready to go, and not enough time.

Instead, I'll go back to my standard format, and give you a random(ish) mix of music. this is going to be a walk down memory lane... it's going to similar to one of the many MANY mixtapes I used to make, only it'll be 7 songs, instead of the number of songs I could fit on a standard 90 minute cassette.

This song will always make me think of school dances, and djing. And my first love. The song was a staple slow dance song at all the dances, because it was popular at the time. Also, this is the song that I danced to with a boy I thought I loved.

There are times that this song brings me back to a school play I did with a school that was not my own. It makes me think of pyrotechnics, Rifts, and trying to throw 8 breakers at once.

No word of a lie, EVERY single mix tape I made contained the Imperial March. EVERY ONE. I once made a mixtape for my boyfriend for his birthday, or valentines day or something, and even that tape had it on it. My opinion was that a girl never knows when she's going to need a big boost, and she's always got to be prepared to make an entrance!

Admittedly, I was a bandwagon girl that really only 'discovered' the pumpkins after Mellon Collie, but I did devour their catalog, and quickly more of their older stuff was included in my mixes.

I didn't have too many rules about making mix tapes. Rule one, I couldn't repeat any bands. Rule two, I had to include the Imperial March. And Rule three, I had to include TMBG, and depending on what TMBG song was included, rule one could be thrown out. BUT ONLY for TMBG.

What girl doesn't need to wail sometimes. And wailing with Rivers makes everything better.

Another staple of making tapes. Not THIS song, but The Cranberries. What girl trying to find who she is WOULDN'T embrace Delores?

Oh, and don't forget about the mission I've given you :)

No comments: