Monday, May 10, 2010

In which Shana salutes...

Women who rock.

I'm going to preface this by saying that these women aren't all part of the rock genre. But they still rock.

When things are rough, wonderful or just painfully average, I listen to music.

Anyhow... I have a particular fondness for women who make music that I really like. and sometimes when I need a good hit of girl power, I'll listen to their tunes.

So this week, I give you the women and songs that have been there for me in times long past, times present, and times in the future. And without further ado...

1 - Chantal Kreviazuk - Imaginary Friend
It scares me to speak my mind
It might sound self-absorbed
I don't say half of what I think
I wonder what I'm thinkin' for

Chantal has always been there for me, when I'm feeling worthless, and lonely, and like no one is listening to what I have to say. She reminds me that sometimes it's okay if I do live in my head, but that sometimes there is someone there listening, even if I don't see them right away.

2 - Charlotte Martin - In Parenthesis
I'll never be the vision of a girl who can write poetry
I'll never be the little black dress we've seen on Natalie B.
I'll never be five foot ten, I'm barely five foot three
I'm on solitary sand, but in parentheses

I have to admit, that this was a tough call for me to make. I've gone back and forth a few times in my debate over which song to choose for Miss Martin. In the end it came down to this one and Every Time it Rains. I went with this song simply because it's a power song. It helps me find my solitary sand, and helps me stand strong.

3 - Metric - Stadium Love
Every living thing
Pushed into the ring
Fight it out
To wow the crowd
Guess you thought
You could just watch
No one's getting out
Without stadium love


I know that when I'm looking at the ladies who rock, I would be best suited to look at Emily Haines and the soft skeleton rather than metric, but this song just stands out and I HAD to include it. This song, is the biggest basis for the rockstar philosophy. Because everyone needs some stadium love.

4 - Hole - Doll Parts
I want to be the girl with the most cake
He only loves those things because he loves to see them break
I fake it so real, I am beyond fake
And some day, you will ache like I ache


I'll bet a lot of people didn't know that I have a HUGE soft spot for Hole. I was an angsty teen girl in the 90's. There was NO WAY POSSIBLE that Hole wouldn't impact me. Anyhow... I'm the kind of girl who has always felt like a doll herself. I've had conversations with friends about how if I'm in public and not drinking, I'm generally little miss faker. I am a doll, and I want the most cake.

5 - No Doubt - Just a Girl
'Cause I'm just a girl I'd rather not be
'Cause they won't let me drive
Late at night I'm just a girl,
Guess I'm some kind of freak



On the topic of teen angst and the 90's, I would be remiss if i missed No Doubt. The song, just a girl, it hits on all the things I need to hear sometimes. I'm a girl, but I'm not JUST a girl.

6 - Nancy Sinatra - These Boots Are Made for Walking
These boots are made for walking, and that's just what they'll do
one of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you.

One of these days, these boots WILL walk all over you.... I was kind of torn here to be honest. It was pretty tough to pick the RIGHT Nancy Sinatra song to include here... but I thought I'd go with the first one I ever heard. The one that stuck with me since I was a kid. Nancy, every time I buy a pair of swanky boots, I think of you. Speaking of which, I need a new pair of boots, or two...

7 - Feist - Let it Die
The saddest part of a broken heart
Isn't the ending so much as the start
The tragedy starts from the very first spark
Losing your mind for the sake of your heart
The saddest part of a broken heart
Isn't the ending so much as the start

There are many, MANY reasons that this song speaks to me.

And this concludes the list of the week. There are some obvious omissions, and trust me when I say that they're not omissions so much as I only had 7 slots to fill. That and there are a few omitted artists that I plan to deal with on their own.

No comments: