Monday, April 26, 2010

In which shana makes a 'musical' playlist

So this weeks playlist is dedicated to the musicals I know and love. There was a time where CXBFF and I would veg out and eat icecream and listen to showtunes.

Anyhow, I still listen to showtunes a lot. I love the way they tell a story, and how each song flows into one another. My #1 favorite musical is Sunset Blvd. I have never seen it, but have every intention of it.

  • Les Miserables
Castle on a Cloud. It captures the innocence of Cosette beautifully, and speaks to a youth swept away far too soon by life.
  • Sunset Blvd
This time Next Year. It's the song of a hope for a better tomorrow, of always reaching, searching for something more. This is something I think we all need to remember sometimes.
  • Phantom of the Opera
The point of No Return. When I hear Colm Wilkinson sing this, there is one word that makes me melt each and every time. He breathes out the word 'past' and it truly does carry me past the point of no return.
  • Evil Dead: The Musical
This one is REALLY REALLY tough. It's pretty much impossible for me to pick ONE song that I love more than any other from this musical. If you're familiar with the movies, it's important to note that the musical ENTIRELY captures the campy horror movie feeling. Top 3 songs are... Join Us, Bit Part Demon, and Do the Necronomicon.
  • Once More with Feeling
I know, it's a musical from a TV show, and some would claim it doesn't count. But my blog, my rules, it counts. The song from this one is Walk Through the fire. It tells the story of how sometimes you need to walk through the fire to feel it again. Quite literally. but there's more to it than that. You'd have to hear it to understand it.
  • The Sound of Music
My Favorite things. Simply put, it's about finding ways through the tough parts of life, the universe and everything.
  • Camelot
This is another one that's a little tough to chose just one. It's a musical that I hold VERY dear to my heart. Mostly because I love the idea of love triumphing over anything. Anyhow, I'm just going to cop out and say choose any song from the musical and that'll be my favorite :)

Honorable mentions go out to Doctor horrible Sing Along Blog, Jesus Christ Superstar, South Pacific, Grease, Nunsense, Anything Goes, Tommy, among many, many others)

2 comments:

WhitneyB99 said...

Hey, I was just stopping by and wanted to tell you that I really like your blog! I think the stuff you write about is great and very entertaining. I found your blog through Blogger. Anyways, have a great day and check out my blog if you get a chance. Thanks!

Shana-Marie said...

Thanks! I'll be sure to drop by your blog! :)