Thursday, April 29, 2010

In which Shana has peers, and pressure

*nods* @isedon

That's right Isedon, I am calling you out.

You see, earlier tonight (or last night really, because that's when I wrote this) while trying to come up with ideas for my blog, one of my dearest oldest friends started IMing me.

This is not out of the ordinary. Like I said, Isedon is one of my oldest friends, not to mention my DM for my Sunday night DnD game.

Anyhow, I was attempting to write a blog about how I'm not ready to let some of my secrets out of the dark hole I've buried them in. I was having a hard time finding the words to say what I wanted to say, and I welcomed the break.

So we chatted about this and that, and he eventually shared a few images of stuff. One was Cthulhu, another was an icon perfect to keep people at arms length. And then were the pictures of his Avatar.

It had wings.

Bat like wings.

I WANT wings.

So he told me that he made them on IMVU, and started selling me on the software. I did my best to resist, I really did try. But WINGS.

What finally caused me to break was his comment that it would give me blog fodder. That I could write about peer pressure. so I broke, I installed the damned software, and started playing around with creating an avatar. I eventually quit, because I couldn't find a skirt I liked, but maybe I'll try it again.

So tel me people, what are your experiences with peer pressure?

3 comments:

Lucas said...

I'm thinking a lot of peer pressure is really just really good salesmanship, and the rest is the threat of not being welcomed in a group. I didn't really have much encounter with it in school as I was pretty much keeping to myself or my own 2 or 3 friends. In university dorm life, I know it was a lot more of do X to your hair or Y to your clothes, or everyone go to Z to do A. I generally opted to ignore all this and do my own thing.... and thusly was excluded from many of the (inane/annoying) group events. I think the more someones that cave in and go along, the more they try to rope others into caving in and going along because it then justifies thier own actions.

tagskie said...

Nice blog you got here... Just droppin' by to say hi! http://www.arts-and-entertainment.info

Shana-Marie said...

@Lucas - I can't say that I've ever REALLY been a victim of peer pressure. Even with the IMVU thing, it was on my radar already, I just never thought much about it until someone I knew (aka, you) were using it as well. I was always the kid that flew under the radar, unless I wanted to be seen, I was pretty much invisible. Well, okay, once I learned that a pony tail could camouflage my hair.

But then again, I was a pretty weird kid :)


@tagskie - Thanks!