Thursday, March 11, 2010

In which Shana should have thought about this earlier

but I didn't so here I am, less than 24 hours before I leave the house (because it makes more sense this way) still undecided about a key point.

and it occurs to me that if I had a newer cell phone, it'd be a non issue.

Anyhow....

I'm going to a wedding tomorrow.

I know, Shana's leaving the house quite willingly. It's crazy. But she's decided that sometimes she has to do things that are outside of her comfort zone for a couple of reasons. a) because if she doesn't, her comfort zone won't ever grow and b) because not everything is about her, and being selfish would be selfish.

And again, I find myself on the verge of a tangent.

So here's the thing I should have thought about.

I have 2 cameras. Three if you count the camera on my old cell (I traded my old normal phone for a hand me down older BlackBerry that is sadly ill equipped for my needs. Well, the photographic ones anyhow). I've got the BIG camera (my Canon Xti dslr) and the LITTLE camera (my little kodak).

Now, there are advantages to both cameras.
  • The DSLR is pretty awesome, and takes a great picture, with wonderful colour. I might even be able to get shots that I could add to my portfolio even.
  • The Kodak is small. Still takes good images, but not quite as great. Really the biggest advantage is its size. The Kodak would fit into the antique purse (that I had planned to carry) whereas the DSLR would require a bigger one.
I'm not entirely adverse to bringing a bigger bag, I've got a couple bags that would work to carry all my stuff (camera, makeup, netbook, kitchen sink etc. - blogged about previously)

but here's the question (which for note I've already been called stupid over, which I accept I might be... but when you call me stupid because you simply don't think the same way I do is just going to shut the conversation down. Just sayin'). Is it tacky for an amateur photographer to bring a big bulky camera to a fairly small wedding?

I really am interested in peoples thoughts. I just worry that it might appear tacky. But I also don't ever leave the house, or do social things, so I'm not big on actually knowing what IS and IS NOT tacky. Just please, don't simply state that I'm stupid because you'd never thought of that before yourself. That kind of argument, well it just makes me feel pretty dumb. If the statement had been a variation on "I'd never thought of it as tacky, but here's why I don't think it is..." I'd be very open to it.

I suppose that yesterday's good feelings were mostly sleep deprived euphoria. I suspect in my world, things look better the less I sleep. At least they make more sense, or I can be happier with them.

More on that when I finish my soul searching :)

3 comments:

Elianora said...

Take big camera. You can take awesome pictures that would be a great present for the bride :]

Melina and Denise said...

I don't think it's tacky at all. First of all, if its a small wedding than I assume you must be reasonably close to the couple so they would know about your photography. If it were my wedding I'd be psyched that someone was taking extra photos that I might get my hands on later! But maybe I'm selfish. :) I think it would be normal for you to bring the camera.d

eva said...

You've probably gone to the wedding by now, so there's no point in me saying this,. but aaanyhow: I also don't think it's tacky at all. I would expect to see people with big cameras at weddings. And I bet the people getting married would love it :)