Monday, January 11, 2010

In which Shana shakes her head at criticism

I watched Avatar 3d this weekend, and it was FAWSOME!

Now before I'm accused of simply jumping on the bandwagon (which many are known to do) there are a few points I'd like to make.

Number one - A lot of people say that this movie follows the simplistic story of Pocahontas, and that this is a negative point.

Well, simply put, it does. It's a modern age Pocahontas, with a few little twists, mainly to make it a touch more modern, but still, I 100% agree that this is a very similar story. But I don't think of that as a negative.

I simply ask this question. Show me 1 movie made in the last 30 years, 1 book, 1 ANYTHING that isn't reminiscent of another story. Show me 1, and I'll agree that the basic of all the stories haven't been told. I'm sure there may be a few out there, but the bottom line is this... most stories HAVE been told, and given enough time, anyone could find a story that it hearkened back to.

We all still watch the James Bond films. They've all been straight up remade 2-3 times for each book.
We all watched Star Wars (the original). That was a straight up remake of pretty much ANY and EVERY spaghetti western out there. Seriously.
And I'm sure I could come up with more, but I'm lazy and tired.

Number two - It was a very simplistic story, and that means that it's not epic enough.

*sigh*
yeah it was wasn't it?

But aren't the best MOVIES simple?

Yeah, I hear you grumbling about Lord of the Rings and how EPIC they were, and how complex too.

*blink*
Are you serious?

Okay, first... the theatrical release was over 3 hours long. 3 HOURS. Granted, Avatar was just over 2.5, but the story it told was FULLY developed. The characters involved, were FULLY developed. Even the ones who were on the screen for such a short time, but were integral to the story, were fully developed.

Can LoTR say that?
Hellz no!

Nuff said.

I dunno what else people said sucked about the movie, because I started rolling my eyes thinking that they were stretching pretty far.

1 comment:

eva said...

I haven't seen Avatar yet, but have read a lot of articles on how the storyline resembles the one of Pocahontas, and how it has racist undertones. Hmm. I have yet to make up my mind about just that, but I'm not going to see Avatar for the storyline; I'm going to see the beautiful, stunning visuals. I can't wait, and I know it's going to be a fantastic experience :)