Friday, January 15, 2010

In which Shana recieves a message

On January 13 2010, Belle De Jour wrote a blog post to me. That's right, specifically to ME.

Okay, so she really didn't, but because I'm all going on about my fear of stuff, and not being good enough and whatever, I'm taking it truly to heart, and saying it was just for me. If you have a problem with it, I really do not care.

Here's the link to her post

But here's the long and short of what she wrote, and I think you'll understand why I'm saying it was just for me.

1. Beauty is fleeting. Thank fuck for that.
Corollary 1a: The larger part of how people perceive you is how you present yourself.
2. People can be hurtful to strangers. That's their problem.
Corollary 2a: The most vocal critics are often the most insecure.
3. Other people have things you don't. Big deal.
Corollary 3a: Envy of other women's looks is a zero-sum game, and uses far too much time and energy to be bothered with.
4. Quality of love is not a function of attractiveness.
See Corollary 1a above.
5. Confidence doesn't come overnight.
Corollary 5a: Confidence happens when you let it happen. No one gives it to you, which is great, because it also means they can't take it from you.
6. When someone says I am beautiful, they really, really mean it.

Now to turn her lessons into mantras for me to use on a daily basis.

I highly recommend reading her blog, although she doesn't post to it as much as she once did. Read through her archive. Get her books (which I've yet to do myself, but really want to). Watch the BBC program based on the book based on the blog based on the life... She's wonderful, and has been an inspiration to me.

2 comments:

eva said...

Yay what a great blog and positive message:) I'm far more insecure than I should be as well, and it's holding me back, but I'm trying to work on it.

Shana-Marie said...

We'll work on it together! =)