Wednesday, January 27, 2010

In Which Shana is NOT alone

I feel alone, isolated really, all the time. This is because I spend a lot of time in my dungeon (read basement recroom) alone.

That is, alone save for the internet.

I am currently unemployed, but even when I am, I have a hard time being social in the real world. I have documented this enough, so I will be taking this post on a different track.

In real life, I have 1 friend I see IRL on a fairly irregular basis. This is not to say that this is the ONLY friend I COULD see, because that would be a lie. My cousin asks for my time, but I tend to brush him off. Another friend stopped asking for my time, because I are flaky. And then there's the friend whom I know I'd love to spend time with, but since she's uber busy, I tend to flake out on her too. (NOTE to her - perhaps I'll stop doing that after you get married, and school stuff a little less crazy for you... it is one of my promises for the new year)

anyhow... while tweeting with the group commonly referred to (by us) as the Twitter Knitting Circle, several of us started talking about how bashful, shy, socially awkward we are in real life. Well, one of the group tweeted this:


and it so completely summed up what I was feeling that I feel the need to dedicate a blog post to it.

I can say, with complete confidence, that if it weren't for the internet, I would have no friends.

My closest friend (Mrs. AwesomePants), is someone I became close to over the internet.

My oldest (as in known the longest, by no means AGE) friend (umm... I think I've referred to her here, but if not, she's the lovely lady V), and I fell out of touch ages ago, and if it weren't for email, LJ and twitter we'd still be out of touch.

And all my many new friends I've found through this blog, through twitter, through LJ, and even through J!NX. There's the TKC, there's my websisters... All too numerous to count them all, but people that have enriched my life in countless ways. People I hope to one day meet.

All in all, I'm very glad to for all this social networking. I've never felt like I was really a part of anything at all until very recently.

No comments: