Tuesday, January 12, 2010

In which Shana FREAKS out about clothes

yeah, I know I've done this before, and I'm sure I'll do it again, but I have a clothing conundrum.

When it comes to my day to day clothing, I've gotten pretty comfortable with my personal style. I'm sure there are people out there who look at me and think to themselves "what kind of drugs is she on and why is she dressed like that?!" but I like it, and I feel like a rockstar and I dress for me, not them so they can bugger off.

(And when I see the funny looks that some people give me, I choose to think that they're just jealous of my swanky shirts, and the fact that I can pull off big black lacy skirts, or frilly stuff with combat boots better than them. I figure they WISH they were as rockstar as I am)

So for day to day stuff, I'm (mostly) good.

But for events(like weddings)... I'm paranoid I'm going to end up looking like Bjork in the swan dress. Granted, I love the dress. And I love that she wore the dress, and I'll bet she felt pretty fantastic in it... she still kinda stuck out like a sore thumb.

And, for someone with a lot more confidence than me, I'm sure they could pull off the swan dress and not care about the nasty backhanded comments people would make about it. Sadly, I just don't have that kind of strength of will, character, or self enough to be able to wear something crazy and suitably me, and not feel awkward.

I picked up this dress last week, and I'm more than reasonably confident that it's more than suitable. More importantly, I really quite like it, and with a few modifications (or not) could wear it as a part of my usual rotation. A girl can look pretty any day, can't she?

Here's the problem.

I had my heart set on THIS DRESS. But I waffled instead of buying it. Not because of the price, but because it's a little long and has skulls on it. I worried that it would be a little too formal or a little too gothy for a wedding, if that makes any sense to you.

In essence, I worried that I'd stand out like a sore thumb, much like Bjork in her wonderful swan dress.

No comments: