Thursday, October 22, 2009

The teenage years, part 10

More on drama, meaning the theatre kind.

I decided this is what I was going to do and threw all of my energies into it. Between the time I was 14 and 18, I can't even begin to count how many shows I lit, did sound on, stage managed, built sets for, did hair, make up, and the odd time, acted in.

I recall, when we came back to school we had to do the obligatory 'what I did this summer' essay. In my essay I wrote a tale about how I Stage Managed a Variety show, and all the many characters I interacted with. I wrote about theatre being my calling and how much fun I had that summer.

I forgot that my English teacher was also the drama teacher. She pulled me aside later that week and the two of us then collaborated on a one act festival. There were 5 plays I think that were going on, and I was to be involved in each and every one of them. It was a lot of fun working with everyone, and it was super fun when the play with my favorite cast was picked to move on to the region wide drama show case.

After that, I wound up going to a school that had the academy for the arts as a part of the school. I finished my last year and a half of high school out there. And there, I brought a play to the regional show case again, and won an award for stage management.

I had definitely decided that this is what I wanted to do with my life.

And I was happy with that path.

3 comments:

eva said...

Woha, that's impressive, how cool that you got involved with theatre that early. I'm sure your super-power memory must have come in handy for stage management. I'm envious of your ability to remember stuff, I can hardly remember anything. Even as I read stuff you write from your past, I know I wouldn't have been able to tell people details from my past like you do. I wouldn't know if I was 11 or 19 while I did this or that, I dream things and think that it has happened.. or stuff happens and I'm sure it was just a dream or even worse; I don't remember at all. Everything is jumbled and mixed up for me. Very often people tell me stories that includes them and me and fun stuff I've experienced and done. Stuff I should be proud of and keep as nice memories. But I just don't remember. Apparently I'm adhd/add, I hope I can get medication soon.

Shana-Marie said...

Heh... the memory thing is actually a pain sometimes. You have to listen to people tell you the same stories over and over, because they don't recall telling you.... or people don't remember the things you've actually said to them. It's kind of neat for things like blogging my life.

Try taking fishoils if you think you're ADD/ADHD.... pharmaceuticals tend to change your personality and remove the things that make you fun. There are a lot of herbal aids to help clear the fuzz that ADD/ADHD leaves behind. My Brother in law had ADHD so bad that I couldn't stand being around him, but now he's on a few herbs, and he's got it all under control. I'll see if I can find out what they are for you if you like.

eva said...

I've been diagnosed with adhd, but left the country before I could get medicines for it. I know medicines would work, as I've had experience with stimulants(not ritalin though lol) before. You're probably right about the personality change though. It would be awesome if you could find out what has worked for him, send me an email if you do: evamarie@operamail.com .
At the moment I'm trying fish oils, guarana and caffeine.