Thursday, October 8, 2009

In which Shana will not boycott the movies

First and foremost, I feel it necessary to say that I'm not going to get into discussing Roman Polanski. I will acknowledge him, and the charges that have been brought against him, but so far as actually discussing it, I will not.

I will however, get into the discussion about movies, and what motivates me to go see them.

Sometimes, I'll watch a movie, because an actor I have enjoyed watching act before is in it. Case in point, I want to see Coco Avant Chanel because I adored Audrey Tautou in Amelie. She impressed me, and even though I have little interest in the life of Coco Chanel, I have great desire to see this film.

Sometimes, I'll watch a movie because it was directed by someone who I have enjoyed their previous work. Case in point, Sam Raimi. I adored The Evil Dead films, and generally make it a point to watch pretty much anything he's had a hand in writing, directing or producing.

And there are times I'll watch a movie because it's based on a book I've enjoyed, or written by an author I like. My key example here would be Neil Gaiman. There hasn't been a single time I've NOT enjoyed something that Gaiman has had a hand in. Simply put, if Gaiman's name is on it, I'm likely going to pick it up.

I picked those three names quite specifically. They are people that I have a lot of respect for as far as their craft goes, whether it be writing, directing, producing, acting or any/all of the above, and yet I know very little about their personal lives.

I know that Gaiman, keeps bees, has a lovely dog and is dating Amanda Palmer, however I do not know if he harbours any hate towards any ethnic minorities.

I know that Raimi is a little twisted (as seen by his films) but I don't know where he stands on gay marriage.

I know that Tautou is pretty (really, I don't know much about her), but I don't know where she stands on abortion.

I also don't know if any of them are for or against Roman Polanski and the charges leveled against him.

And I do not care.

I do not go to movies because I agree with what these actors and directors think or feel in their personal lives. I do not go to movies because I believe in anyone's personal integrity, or their views or anything like that.

Maybe I should, but I don't.
Maybe this makes me a bad person.

I recognize that by going to movies, renting movies, etc is putting money in actors/directors/writers/producers pockets. And I am fully prepared to do so, even if I don't agree with their personal viewpoints. The way I see it, I'm not giving them money because of their personal lives.

I'm giving them money because of their professional lives, and I will continue to do so, irregardless of what they say, think, or do. And if this makes me a bad person, so be it.

3 comments:

Maddie said...

i tend to do the same thing like for example i like some songs by micheal jackson but i think hes a shit person. when u screw kids...it makes a shit person. and do tell if u see chanel as i want 2c it 2. u should see le berge espaniol audrey had a small part yet it was a good movie.

eva said...

If I only had to like the art and music that was made by people I liked, I don't think there would be much left for me to like haha .. ok, a massive overstatement, but it has a bit of truth in it too.

Maddie: I don't know if Michael Jackson did screw kids. He was proven not guilty, and the people who made the cases against him(the kid's parents) had tried to trick people in similar ways in the past for financial gain.

Shana-Marie said...

Exactly the point I'm making! You can't like everything about everyone who's art, be it books, music, art or film you take in. Otherwise there isn't much left.

And I'm SO not touching the MJ thing... lol... not that I agree or disagree, but I've found that it's rather like talking about religion. While I can hold my own in a religious debate, I really can't when it comes to MJ!