Friday, September 18, 2009

In which Shana shows off.

So, when you mix procrastination, headaches, and photo sensitivity together, you end up with someone who has a hard time editing or even looking at, her photos in a timely fashion.

Even now, my eyes are having a hard time with the screen... far too much white!

Anyhow, I took something like 222 pictures, not including the ones that were all blurry that I deleted on sight, or the ones that I were test shots just figuring out the light, or the positioning.

So from those 222 images, I first narrowed the pool down to about 8 images that I thought were good enough to work on.

I know you're probably thinking, I'm being too hard on myself if less than 4% of my images I deemed to be good enough to look at or consider editing, then you'll think I'm being super harsh when only 4 of those made the final cut.

The fact of the matter is simple. It takes a lot of work to get the right shot. There is a lot that goes into it. Framing, lighting, focus, aperture, shutter speed.

I know I've said before that my biggest problem with photography was that I didn't know HOW to use my camera. Kyle helped with that, and took the time to make sure that we all had a better understanding of Fstops, and how to check and double check exposures.

And then, while we discussed our own ideas of future projects, and Kyle then throughout the next two days helped us with ideas for how to better shoot and light them in the future.

The projects ranged from product shots, to portraiture, to glamor style shots, and film noir.

It was super awesome, and I know how to use the camera now. So, all I need to really get started on my secret project is a flash or two, a snoot or two, a gobo, perhaps a couple of stands, and a script.

I figure the models come later. I'm just glad that I have a better idea of how to handle this. I do have homework though. I've got to watch some movies with a similar style, and get an idea of how they are lit so I can use that in my work.

But there you have it, the four photos I felt were the best work of the weekend.

And now, since it's taken me 3 hours to write this, and I've still got a bad headache... I'm going to sign off.

3 comments:

Maddie said...

you should be proud the shots look good and with more practice they`d get better. GO SHANA GO!

eva said...

My favourites are the ones in the hallway, it seems like something really creepy is going on!! The shadows and light is great!

You know, you could also be your own model if you have a remote thingy for your camera. It's nice not having to work with other people, haha:P No, but seriously, the only model who's always available to you and will do as you say is yourself ;)

Shana-Marie said...

Maddie - Practice makes perfect, right?

Eva - Those are my fav's too. That's the style of photo I'll be using for my not so secret secret project (that I think I've talked about before, but I'm not entirely sure). I'll be playing around with self portraits later this week for my J!NX action shots, but I haven't had a lot of luck in the past. We'll see how this round turns out