Wednesday, September 16, 2009

In which Shana names her stuff

I have spent the last two weekends in the company of people.

The first group was family, and my mother's friends. The second was with photographers and fellow geeks. In both weekends, people gave me strange looks when I referred to my netbook (which was obviously in my possession each time) as Tink(er Bell).

Each time I found myself explaining that my desktop PC is called Princess, or in this incarnation, Twoie, short for Princess Two, and that my netbook is just as pretty, so she's a Tink.

Both times after explaining my logic there were nods and we moved on. Sadly I think it's because most people accepted my eccentricities by that point.

So I ask, am I really that weird to have named my computers? I honestly didn't think that this was so far off of the norm as it seems to be. But here I am, surrounded by people who think I'm just a little weird, and don't name their own machines. So, Internet, do any of you name your computers? I don't think it to be that far off from naming your car, which I do.

Come to think of it, I haven't named the new car....

9 comments:

Maddie said...

i know im still looking 4 a name 4 my new car! and no ur not far from the norm i used to own a cd player named weebow but some how i try to avoid too many machines. i get too bummed when they`re gone....

eva said...

Some people live in magic-land where machinery has hearts, souls, moods - and names. And other people? I don't know where they live, but I'm sure it's not as fun as magic-land ;) My external harddrive is called Nusse, and my last laptop was called Snusken. My new laptop doesn't have a name as it isn't really mine.. but seeing as I've given it a new purple paint job and all that, I doubt my boyfriend wants it back... so I might as well give it a name. It has to be a good one though, hmm, it's hard sometimes to come up with suitable names. What will you call your new car?

Adam Israel said...

My laptop is inkspot, because that's where I write (when I'm not writing longhand, anyways). My desktop, bundled up in storage, is Galactica. All of my servers at work are named after Transformers.

So no, not weird. Or weird but in good company. Either way, alright by me.

Shana-Marie said...

Maddie - You'll know the name when you find it! I do too... I tend to only name the computers and the cars. My DSlite, MP3 player all get one of my online handles to call theirs, but nothing personalised.

Eva - My computers defintely have moods, and a heart, and probably a soul. And even if they don't, I love them like they do! OOhh... purple!
Not sure what to call the car yet, she's older, so I was thinking something like Elouise.

Adam - I like inkspot! I agree weird but in good company!

eva said...

Adam: Ahh you're the inventor of great names! Galactica is awesome for a desk!

Shana: Ha ha tell me about it, I sometimes try to help my computer through hard times and over sized file-handling with sending it my love through telepathy (!). I might have to get a photo of just how jazzed up & purple my computer is right now so I can show it to you he he. Oh and Elouise is a great name. Like an old, nice lady :)

Shana-Marie said...

Eva - You totally need to show off your (boyfriends) purple laptop! I need more stickers for mine to really personalize her!

‡♥Jet♥‡ said...

I name my stuff too!! My car, which is a black 2001 VW Jetta VR6, is named "Lydia" from Beetlejuice. Haven't named my phone or laptop yet...mostly because I haven't settled on a name for either that satisfies me. I agree with Eva in respect to people who don't live in magic land... my boyfriend is one of those people. He's boring so it's a good thing he found me.

‡♥Jet♥‡ said...

And yes I talk to my car all the time... and sometimes think of things she would say, had she a voicebox, in certain situations. :P

Shana-Marie said...

jet - I totally talk to my computers all the time! I try to reaffirm that it's a good computer, and that we can work through anything. Or I'll beg it to work when shes acting up... I'm convinced that it helps!