Friday, September 25, 2009

In which Shana doesn't drink wine

That's not entirely true. Well not true at all.

I live in an area of Ontario called the Niagara Region.

It's very pretty here, and we have a lot of farms and wineries. We've won awards, and the wines that I've had are super tasty.

In my former job, I got to travel a fair bit. It was great, but more often than not I'd walk into a large group of people where there were introductions, and I'd often get to talk about where I was from. So I'd go on about how from anywhere in the city, you drive for 5-10 minutes and you're in farmland. And I'd talk about the wine. All the wineries we have, and the awards, and how tasty it was, and how pretty it is around here.

Only once, and interestingly enough it was on my last trip, did someone ask me if I had ever gone on a wine tour.

There are a lot of them, you can take one of the bike tours, were you and a group ride from winery to winery, or bus tours where you do the same. Or you can just wander through one winery and taste the different wines that they produce there.

And I've never been.

Heck, ever year we have a festival of (grapes and) wine where there are parties and parades, and grape royalty. We used to have some pretty swanky concerts too, but I don't think we have those anymore.

But I've never been inside any of the wineries. Ever.

I swore a couple of years ago that I would rectify this, but I still haven't. Next year, I will have to make it a point to. I love wine, and I love our region's wine. I think I need to do more to celebrate it than go to a yearly parade. (which incidentally is tomorrow)

No comments: