Thursday, August 13, 2009

In which shana sings off key


I will sing in the car. I will sing in the house. I'll sing quietly in public when I don't think people can hear me. And I'll sing when I'm drunk.

These are the only times that I will sing in public save for one. Birthdays.

I've tried to simply mouth the words to happy birthday, but it's always obvious... and while people will turn a blind eye to my lack of prayer before a meal, they won't seem to let me live down not singing happy birthday.

Most people can't sing either, so you generally get a group of people who can't sing to sing happy birthday so far off key that it's barely recognizable. Really, I dread cake time simply because of the singing. Both for my own vocal cords and for my ears.

However... I will sing it for those I love. Strange... I'll subject those who I hold dear to my awful singing voice* on their special day, however I digress.

Today is a day that I've long tried to convince my son is a day he should buy me presents for, since I DID do ALL the work... however as I have not won, I'll still give him presents. Since it is his birthday and all.

Happy birthday to my wonderful, beautiful, smart little boy. I love you so much, and cherish each and every moment I have with you. I love that you'll still snuggle and cuddle me. I love that I can still con you into holding my hand by telling you how excited it makes me. I love the way you ask questions, and your vocabulary. I love the stories you tell and the games you create to make walks more interesting. I love playing video games with you, and how you totally own me at UT3 warfare.

I adore you little man, and I can't wait to see what kind of person you are yet to become.

*I have once compared my singing voice to that of a Siren Song... Though, rather sailors rushing towards it without looking where they are going... they smash their heads in to get away from the sound. Harsh, but not untrue.

No comments: