Monday, August 31, 2009

In which Shana prepares to purge

Facebook purging.

Currently, I look at my facebook friends and see that there are 112 of them. This is progress, just last night I would have had 140. I can tell you, without a second thought, that there are NOT 140 people I am friends with. Most of these people I don't talk to ever, and even more, have never even written anything on my wall.

So WHY do I have these 140 people on my 'friends' list if I have no intention of talking to them and they have no intention of talking to me? It seems senseless.

So away I went. Trimming people off here and there. I've done this a few times, so on this sweep I only removed 28 people. Not too bad, but then I came to a complete standstill. Where do I go from here?

Left on my facebook, there are a few categories. There's the family types, brothers, their mates, aunts, great aunts, grandparents, cousins and other extended family members. Then there's the people I knew in high school, people I once felt rather close to and perhaps had some affections for. Then there's the people I've met since then, either online or in person. People who left their marks on me, and I'd love to get to know better.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

I'm past the point where I want to 'spy' on people's lives through facebook. I'm past the point where I just want to lurk on the fringes. I just don't know HOW involved I want to be in all of these 112 peoples lives. Nor am I sure how involved they want to be in mine.

What are your thoughts on it. Facebook is 'social networking' but what's the point of having a 'social network' when you don't network?

3 comments:

Sari said...

I'm a loser, I totally have 300 friends on Facebook for no good reason. Mainly people I went to school with (anywhere from elementary school to college). I've either met everyone on my list at some points or are really good friends with them online. Obviously I'm not "friends" with most of these people any more, but I like seeing who got married, who had kids, etc. It's fun. I get bored at work. Maybe in a few years I'll purge the list too, but for now I'm having fun spying. =)

Shana-Marie said...

Nothin' wrong with spying! Facebook is great for that.

I just never really had a lot of friends really. A lot of the people I removed were people who wouldn't give me the time of day in real life.

eva said...

I did a Facebook cleanse a while back. I removed tons of people I thought I could live without, and it was a great feeling. Then, later, I added them again, since a lot of them are people I will have to deal with now and again for manu many years. I then decided that if I am to have rubbish people on my friend list just because I know them, I might as well be "friends" with anyone who sends a request.
Facebook is a lot of stresss.. I haven't checked it in ages.