Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Step 4 is a fun step.

I have self image and self confidence issues.

And by issues, I have none.

Take for instance Friday night. We keep coming back to Friday, I know, but I really don't go out often enough to have many more days for a baseline reference.

Anyhow, Friday I went out dressed like this... Black pencil skirt that cut off just above the knee. Black chucks with pink socks. My black Buffy staked Edward T. My home made black lace studded choker. And for make up, I had dark lipstick (something I never wear) Bright purple shadow on both my upper and lower eyelid, and dark black eyeliner.

I thought it was an adorable outfit. One of the better ones I've put together. But I felt nervous and self-conscious the whole time. The woman at the candy store gave me a funny look as I paid for my wasabi peas and power up energy drink. Various people at the car show we stopped at gave me strange looks.

I tried to grin and bear it, but I think I bugged the hubs a lot by asking "do I look dumb?" every 3 minutes.

I need to do this more often. Dress how I want to dress, and hopefully I eventually stop thinking about what other people are thinking of it.

Friday's trial though, I managed to keep my lipstick on. Normally I wipe it off after a minute thinking it looks awful

Score one for me!

2 comments:

eva said...

I think you're right.. you just need to do it more often till you get more used to it. People WILL stare if you don't conform.
But at the end of the day, you only live once and you need to play and have fun, so don't let people stop you.
I would hate having to stop being creative with the way I dress - I don't like people looking at me all the time either, but I would hate it more if I had to conform to the so called "classy".. uhh.

Shana-Marie said...

This is why I don't like the corporate world anymore. Conformity was king, and it took getting removed from the industry for me to see what it'd done to me.

I prefer who I am now to who I was then... and I just need to keep taking steps forward to make sure I don't lose my momentum!