Tuesday, July 28, 2009

In Which Shana fails at being social

So, I went to the bar the other week with the hubby and a pair of his friends.

I was as shy as ever. I wiped my lipstick off before getting out of the car, and just felt awkward the whole time. I was out of place with most everyone at the bar, and especially in our little circle.

But then what else is new.

I censored myself more than usual, seeing as how they teach Sunday school together, and prefer to stay off that topic. It was quite strange though, because I play video games and D&D (or I would if there were a group around here) and D&D scares him and I think she's one of those girls who doesn't think much of gaming.

You know, games are for kids and all.

Then comes in someone I know. I see them go to the bar, and get a drink then sit not far from where I am. I watch, but do I open my mouth to say hi? Nope.

And why is this?

Because I'm too darned shy to even think about saying hi, too nervous, and even though this is a girl who once ate candy off my neck I can't walk up and say 'how's it going?'

So, I wound up breaking my own rules. I wiped off the lipstick, I didn't feel confident in an outfit that makes me feel like a rock star, and I wasn't able to have conversation with people. The only rule I didn't break was not making an excuse to not go.

it's a baby step, right?

2 comments:

eva said...

Maybe it would have been easier for you to say hi to your friend if you hadn't been so weirded out by these Sunday school teachers beforehand? I think it's great that you managed to stay there without walking out on them, it sounded like an uncomfortable situation.

They sound a little strange. How weird that a grown up man finds D&D scary.

Shana-Marie said...

Possibly... I was totally off my game that day as it was. Between hubby man not liking the hair, a huge argument, and then the Sunday School Teachers...

Definitely awkward!

I was really weirded out when he told me that he was scared of D&D, especially when he knows that I play the game!