Tuesday, July 21, 2009

In which I do not know how to respond.... it does not matter how I respond

The below post is now considered irrelevant, as they were not interested in working with me, and decided to let me go.

This, I am okay with. This gives me the opportunity to perhaps look into the BEC to go back to school. A lot of people I know are going through Second Career, and you know what, maybe that's where I'm meant to be right now.

Lets see where this leads now! This is a positive experience, shitty, but positive.

I am learning that my employer does not know how to handle coaching or feedback.
In fact, they do not provide coaching. To me, coaching is a two way street, a dialogue where they provide feedback, and I provide a response to the feedback and we discuss goals for the future.
This is a successful coaching session in my mind.
This company, sends an email showing your stats (if you're lucky) and if you're doing okay, they leave you alone. If there are areas to improve, they call you and tell you to do better. They do not tell you what you've done wrong, or how to improve, but they seem to expect you to do so anyhow.
There is no tracking. If I make an error, I want to know what the error is, and discuss how to avoid making it in the future, but they're never prepared to answer my questions, or have any record of what 90% of my errors were.
So, when they give me real time feedback telling me of an error, I respond. I tell them why I made the mistake, what I've learned from the mistake, and how to best avoid making the same mistake in the future.
Guess what happens then?
I get the response "I'm not picking on you"
Seriously?
Never said you were, I was just trying to have a successful coaching session. So today, I get another email with another bit of feedback, this time containing a large amount of BLOCK LETTERS (which by the by, I think should not enter business related email) I'm not sure how to respond. Do I just keep it and make sure I don't do it again in the future. Do I respond like I normally have explaining why I did it and promising not to do it again, or would a simple 'noted' suffice.
I really don't know how to handle these people. We are not in the same world as far as professionalism goes.
Thoughts?

1 comment:

eva said...

OMG BLOCK LETTERS ARE LIKE, SOOO PROFESSIONAL XD !!!1

Ugh. No wonder they have to cut down on staff if that's how they run things.. I bet their company or whatever it is isn't going very well.