Sunday, February 22, 2009

Feminism

So, here's a post that's been kicking around in my head since I started playing the Witcher again.

Basically, I made a comment to my husband about being a closet misogynist, and he replied "closest? I'm pretty sure you've got your cards laid out on the table"

I got a little offended, but retorted with the comment "I can't be a misogynist, I hate everyone equally" But, since I had gotten offended, I kept kicking the thought around. Eventually, he told me that he didn't think I hated women.

Anyhow, it got me to thinking about feminism.

I have never once, in all my years, considered myself a feminist. Today though, I'm questioning WHY.

You see, I believe in all the basic principles of feminism. The way the Miriam Webster dictionary puts it is:
1 : the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes

And I believe in that whole heatedly, no woman should ever be over looked because she doesn't have a penis. I believe this in work, relationships, life and pretty much EVERYTHING!

But then I think, I'd be pretty content if the hubs made more money than me, because then I wouldn't have to work in a hellhole. Not that I wouldn't have to work, but I could work towards doing something I loved, or actually wanted to do.

Does that strike a nail in the coffin of my feminism?

I don't know, I'm all conflicted!

What do you think. Are you, or are you not a feminist? And why or why not?

No comments: