Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Miss Shana-Marie... the scarlet harlot?

I sometimes worry about first impressions.

I worry that I'm not setting the right expectation for who I am when I first meet someone.

I worry because I'm prone to wearing a lot of eye make up.

Once, a girl made a comment to me about looking like some kind of prostitute or street worker. I was really offended. I know I wear a lot of make up, but I'm not that over done, am I?


Later the girl confessed that she was actually a little envious of it, and sort of wished that she could pull something like it off herself.

I'm not about to stop wearing the eye makeup. I have no intention of doing so. It's one of the ways that I express who I am. I love my black eye liner and my bright purple and pink eye shadows and I'm not about to give it up.

I figure if someone thinks I look like a whore on their first impression, well, it's their loss.
I'll tell you what brought all this on though.


My MIL.

She's got a Chinese student staying with her, and they've asked for make up lessons. She offered me up to do it, because well, I love make up. I started to worry about what I'd be teaching them, just because I've got something of a 'look' that's all my own. I really don't think a lot of people could pull it off.

So now I'm worried. What if they expect me to make them up like I am. What if they think that it's normal for people to wear a lot of crap on their face.

ugh, I don't know where I'm going with this, so I'm just going to go take my shower now.

3 comments:

Princess of the Universe said...

My fave is the one on the bottom :)
xo

Shana-Marie said...

Thank ya!

eva said...

prostitute?? what a rude thing to say!! it's also not true.
too much make-up can look shit and trashy on girls who has no style and slap it on badly, but you make it look good.

make-up can be fun and creative, don't listen to to the less-is-more "classy" (=boring) people. it's better to have class than to look classy. i don't think your eye make-up is over the top either, it looks really good on you.