Saturday, October 25, 2008

Squash soup

So, as a part of getting over the hump I'd been at weight wise, I decided to drastically alter my diet again.

Last time, I removed meat from a daily thing, to being twice a week. This time, I changed half of my meals to soup. I eat a LOT of soup, and I have taken to making a lot of it at home myself, because I hate sodium, and a great way to know how much sodium you're eating is to make it yourself.

Anyhow, this week, I made a FANTASTIC squash soup, and it was uber easy too.

I got two small butternut, one pepper and one buttercup and put them into the oven at 400 to get them nice and soft. Once they were soft, I left them to cool a bit, so I could scoop out their innards.

While they cooled down, I got my veggie broth heating on the stove, and cut up 5 small cooking onions. They went straight into the pot with the broth. By now, the squash was cool enough to handle, and I gutted each one into the pot. Then I added some roasted garlic, and a little bit of nutmeg.

Heat until everything is soft. It really depends on how big you left your onions, the bigger they are, the longer it takes. Once they're soft, puree, and you're done! When serving, I added a dollop of sour cream and some maple syrup, but that's totally optional, the soup is still very tasty without it.

I'd put measurements in here, but I sort of made it up as I went along. I do that a lot when I cook, and it generally turns out okay.

1 comment:

Princess of the Universe said...

That sounds awesome, I might try that!
xo