Friday, August 8, 2008

London Anyone?

I've always had a dream to travel to Europe. Lately though, being as jobless as I am, and not finding much in my current city, I've considered the idea of expanding my job search to include the 'real' city. Big cities like London or Toronto even have recruiters looking for people to hire, and that can often make the job search easier.

I've got a friend who's in London now, and he's working with a London Recruitment firm to make sure he's got the cash to make ends meet and stay abroad.

There is a downside though, often times the work you can get is contract work, or temp work. But even then, it lets you get your toe in the door, and it's for jobs you might not have otherwise gotten. Another downside is that if the recruiter has to hit a 'quota' of people hired, well, it makes it difficult to ensure that you are the right candidate for the job. I ran into that myself when we were in Lafayette a couple of years back. We had just under a week to hire 550 people. It was brutal, and the initial turnover rate was sky high, just because we couldn't pre-screen people the way we would have liked to.

In the end, I think getting in touch with a Recruitment company is definitely a good idea, especially if you're in a place that you don't know, or if you're heading into a new field. I mean, these are people who know the field they're hiring for, know the company's values, and generally can get you in contact with the right people, or like I said before, help you get your foot in the door.


2 comments:

Princess of the Universe said...

I used a Recruiting Agency when I went through my unemployment this spring. While they didn't do anything for me, I have had success with them in the past.
I think you need to shop around a bit though and find the right one for your needs. I definitely would never recommend the one I just met with.

Elise said...

That sounds really cool! It would be awesome if you could get a job somewhere far away! Even if like you said, it's just temporary, it's more experience and a chance to see someplace that you might not have seen otherwise. Good luck! ^^