Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Case of the Creeps....

It's my own fault really. I recognize this. When you write a blog, you are bound to have readers. In theory, it'd be great if all your readers would announce "hi, I'm a reader!" Unfortunately though, that's not the case. And I KNOW this. I know that on the world wide interweb, you're bound to get the occasional Internet stalker.

I figured I'd be okay with it, and I guess, in the end, I am okay with it. I sort of have to be.

I find it kind of neat to see just what kind of link-in's i get here. For the longest time, it was my post thick thighs and knee highs that got the most traffic. It seems that there are a lot of people who search Google for things like thick thighs. It's a little disconcerting, yet amusing at the same time.

Lately though, it's my USS post. A lot of people search for their lyrics, and end up on my blog. There's also a few other random link ins, but honestly, those two are the most prevalent.

I wasn't very creeped out when 'Canada' started showing up in my Feedjit daily. They'd linked in from my LJ, and that, isn't a huge surprise. I've got a few readers over there. The same when a local town showed up there too. That one revealed themselves, though, which was kind of cool.

Then there were a few that linked in from Yahoo... not a search or anything, but from what appears to be something from their inbox. But, whatev, no big.

Today though, someone in India typed http://soapboxprincess.blogspot.com/ into Google. Which struck me as odd.

Meh.. either way, I'm not moved to stop blogging my life on the 'net. I figure if I can drive through corn fields every time I go out, I can handle people searching out my blog specifically.

9 comments:

Elise said...

The internet definitely can be a creepy place. I told you what happened to me and why I don't post pictures of myself on the net. I try to stay as low-key as possible. If Shana's cyber stalker is reading this, get a life.

Lora said...

i think your feedjit thing is so cool. i even tried to download it by linking to it off of your page a week or so ago, but for some reason, my blog won't let me. any ideas? i may be your link from the yahoo inbox. when you comment on my blog, i link up to your page directly out of my inbox.

eva said...

having a stalker is a sort of compliment in a fucked up cyber-way. i wonder if i have any.

i have google analytics installed on my blog and i find it really entertaining. the two most read blog entries are "latex love doll suit" and "toilet roll cover doll".. i also don't know what to think of the fact that a lot of my readers are from norway, and not far from where i live. i wonder if they know me. they never comment in my blog. most people who read it doesn't. it's sort of creepy, but i've decided i don't care.

elise: what happened?? i have pictures of myself all over the place:S

Shana-Marie said...

Elise - Well love, you're so beautiful, who wouldn't want to be you! Though actually... I'm happy being me...

Lora - I just tried adding it to another blog, and it didn't work. I'll have to play around with it a little bit. Ahh... that'd make sense for the Yahoo one!

Eva - LOL... I used to say that I must be something special if someone wanted to stalk me! I figure that I don't have to care who comes to my blog anymore. It's not likely that it's someone from my life, and as such, won't be able to cause me problems this time around.

You all, well, you just rock!

Persephone said...

creepy...and I agree with Elise! Stalkers are one of the lowest forms of life! Especially ones who stalk my friends!

Elise said...

Eva, I sent someone pictures of myself a few years ago and then I found out that she was using them and saying she was me. The whole thing put me off to posting pics online and I'll only send them through email or IM to people I can trust.

Amber said...

How do you find these things out? I want to find them out about my blog, too, but I wonder if it'll make me more paranoid or cater differently to an audience...

eva said...

amber: check out http://www.google.com/analytics/ , it will tell you what to do. you only have to get a little code thingy and put it on your site. it says at the very beginning in the code, but you can't really access the code, so i've put it in a text box at the bottom of my blog, and it works. i think it's great because nobody can see it, and it collects a LOT of information. it doesn't make me paranoid, i'm just happy to have readers:)

elise: i guess that's a sort of fucked up cyber-compliment too.. although i prefer to be the only one to ruin my reputation, i wouldn't like to share the fun haha.

Shana-Marie said...

Amber - I use a couple of different tools, but Eva's right, google Analytics is probably the best, becuase it does everything, and it's invisible!
It only makes me a little bit paranoid, but that's only because I have a history of things I write in a blog biting my butt...