Thursday, July 10, 2008

I stumbled accross...

... http://thedairiburger.wordpress.com/ via http://winnipegprincess.blogspot.com/ and it really did get me to thinking.

I mean, I read the Sweet Valley, babysitters club, Twins books from Francine Pascal. I also LOVED RL Stine. I was a huge fan of LJ Smith, and devoured everything she wrote. Most of this was because the library card I had wouldn't let me take out the Stephen King, and VC Andrews novels I had grown accustomed to in my mother's library at home. But that wasn't completely it. These books, these YA novels gave me what I thought was a window into the life of a normal teenage girl's life.

Now, I'm not that dumb, and I didn't really think that life was quite as cut and dried as they made it out, but it was interesting to me.

I was a socially awkward kid (now a socially awkward adult) and I really didn't know how to interact with my own peer group. Don't get me wrong, I did have a pretty big group of friends, but even with them I never felt like I was part of the group. I always felt like I was on the outside looking through a pane of dirty glass.

So, anyhow these YA novels were to me, the pinnacle of teenage behaviour. I would take cues from them about how to dress, how to act, how to talk... very sad, I know, but it was all I had. I had two older brothers who well, were male, and most of their girlfriends treated me with a cold condescension reserved for the little sisters of boyfriends, so who did I have to turn to?!

I think this is a big part of why I hated my hair so much growing up. All the girls had blond hair, or 'raven' hair, definitely not brown which was referred to as mousey. And most had straight hair, and those who had curls, had curls that 'tumbled' or 'cascaded'. Mine did nothing of the sort. I hadn't discovered hair gel yet, so they just sort of frizzed. And girls with frizzy hair always got made fun of.

But then again, these socially awkward, mousey coloured, frizzy haired girls very rarely got a book or series of their own, so I never got to see their point of view.

I don't know, it's just interesting to take a jaded walk down memory lane, isn't it?

1 comment:

Princess of the Universe said...

God I love that site. I mean I haven't read the books since I was in high school- but I remember tham well.
The way she portrays how ridiculous they are...genius! :P